This is by no means authentic and was inspired by a number of posts and pins on social media.
Let’s start with the sauce:
- 2 Tbl brown sugar
- 3 Tbl tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbl rice vinegar
- 1 Tbl sriracha
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp perilla oil or sesame
- 1-2 tsp Korean red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ginger—I used 1/2 tsp powdered
Mix them all up and put aside until needed
For the veg (for about 3-4 servings):
- 2-3 carrots chopped into cubes (i quartered the thick sections and halved the thinner)
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 1 eggplant (I used 1 graffiti eggplant and I think that was perfect)
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 clove garlic
In 1 tsp coconut oil I sautéed the carrot, onion and garlic until the carrot was somewhat soft
After sauté it gets removed from heat
Then in 2-3 TBL olive oil (you could certainly use something more neutral but that’s what I had on hand when I realized the coconut oil I used wouldn’t be enough), sauté the eggplant until the cubes are semi soft then add the mushrooms and walnuts and sauté until mushrooms are cooked and eggplant is fairly soft and add back in the carrot and onion.
Give that a quick mix and stir in the sauce and I turned off the heat and let it sit covered for about 10 minutes so the veg had time to absorb the flavor
On the side I had a cucumber salad, kimchi and soy sauce sprouts. The green beans are blanched and splashed with rice vinegar, lemon juice and a little soy paste.