Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls and Beet Salad
I knew I had a head of cabbage and half of another on the fridge so I was pondering that and struck on this idea.
I’m gonna give a shout out to a couple of my favorite brands here—just because the products are always here.
Penzey’s Revolution. I used this in the cabbage
Eden Organica Kimchi Sauerkraut I used this in the cabbage.
Stonehouse Olive Oil OMG spice This was perfect on the beets
The rest is brand neutral.
- Beets, I had five small baby beets that I roasted and peeled at 350 for like 30 minutes
- Carrot, radish, daikon…I thought I had carrot for the cabbage but instead had three small daikon so the salad got half and the cabbage got the other half—about 1/2 cup
- Onions, 1/2 small onion chopped
- Garlic, 3-4 cloves chopped
- Pickles, Dill, 2 Tablespoons chopped
- Olive oil, about 1/2 tablespoon
- Vinegar, just a splash
- Pickle juice, about 2 Tablespoons
- OMG spice liberally – so you can add a mix of similar types of seasonings
- Dill, chopped to serve
Just mix it all up!!
- Cabbage, 1/2 head
- Protein—hamburger, soy curls, tvp. I used 1/2 bag of butlers soy curls.
- Carrot, 1/2-3/4 cup. I subbed daikon
- Celery, 1/2-3/4 cup.
- Tomatoes, 1 can chopped
- Sauerkraut, 1/2 cup. I used kimchi kraut
- Penzey’s Revolution, liberal shaking
- Garlic, about 5 chopped cloves
- Worcestershire, splash on soy curls
- Smoked paprika, to help add some Smokey meatiness. Just a few shakes
- Chives, chopped to garnish for serving. Mine looked bad so I used micro greens
- Sour cream for serving
Sauté the soy curls in two swirls of olive oil just to fry out a bit and then add feelers garlic onions and carrots
Once it’s softening up some add the can of tomatoes
Let that cook a bit and add the cabbage
That cooks until everything is not raw crisp and the juice has been released. Then I add the sauerkraut and turn off the heat so it gets incorporated and heated but you don’t kill the probiotics.
Serve it with a dollop sour cream.